I paint for my own personal escapism and to offer the door to days of romance and adventure to others. I like to stick to themes- British policemen, nuns, Alice in Wonderland but I always return to women on large motorcycles and the jungle adventures because they delight me personally. Sometimes mothers buy them for them for their children and they tell me the kids take them with them when they leave home. The thought someone grew up with one of my pictures and still liked it as a teenager is very rewarding.
Exhibitions and Events
16 March 2020
COVID – 19. Notification to Pablo’s Art Studio Staff, Artists, Caregivers and Visitors
Over the weekend the Government has taken significant action to limit the spread of Covid19, and two more cases confirmed in NZ, including one in Wellington. As the situation evolves, risk factors and preventative actions (recommended by the Ministry of Health) should be noted:
• Every staff member and artist will be required to wash their hands on entering the studio. There is soap and handitowels in the kitchen and bathroom areas. Staff and public will be required to wash hands on entering the gallery. Please wash hands for at least 20 seconds, and dry thoroughly. Please regularly wash your hands while in the studio.
• Any artists or staff that have returned from overseas, or live with someone who has returned from overseas in the last two weeks (from March 2) are required to stay away from Pablo’s premises for a period of two weeks.
• If you are feeling unwell or are displaying any symptoms, (sneezing, coughing, high temperature, shortness of breath), please call Healthline on 0800 358 5453 or your GP and follow their advice. If you are at Pablo’s and begin to experience the above symptoms please leave Pablo’s premises immediately and call Healthline or your GP.
• Limit contact with others on Pablo’s premises, for example do not shake hands, hug or kiss others.
• Clean and disinfect frequently used communal surfaces and objects – doorknobs, cooking and eating surfaces.
• For staff engaged in outreach programs, please refer to the plans and requirements of outreach agencies.
Please refer to the Ministry of Health website www.health.govt.nz for further information. We will keep you updated as the situation develops.
Pablo’s Staff and Committee
Open hours are Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday 10-5.00pm
We are closed Saturday,Sunday & Monday.
Tickets are now available in the gallery $20.00
Sorry no doors sales as we have sold out.
Sorry there will be no door sales as we have sold out.
Exhibition 5th of September to 19th
Reece was born and raised in Taranaki where he originally found his passion for art while he was in school. He then made the move to Wellington as he wanted a change in his life and soon came to Pablo’s in 2009. Art, he recalls is part of his life and absolutely loves it. Through the use of paints and water colour he acknowledges aspects of the environment, nature such as his pieces on leaves and lemons, and animals.
With the help of Chris his tutor, his pieces started to add up and soon realised he had enough for an exhibition of his own “Reece by Reece”.
Reece is proud of what he has accomplished and hopes to sell some pieces and enjoy his moment.
Great range of works to come and see.
Great show a must see!
Inspired by the work of Tetsuo Aoki
Artworks created in a workshop block run by Morag Stokes at Pablos Art Studios.
During this workshop block we looked at the works of Japanese wood engraver Tetsuo Aoki for ideas and inspiration. He makes wood block prints of people with unreal proportions and works with black, white and greys. He makes action packed compositions with his funky figures, so we had a go at something similar.
We made a selection of stylised drawings of the clothed human figure in different poses (We used volunteers for this).
We played with unusual proportions, like very small heads, big feet or hands etc. We learned about stylising ‘people poses’, using them to make dynamic drawing compositions with the help of tracing paper and paper cut-outs.
We worked with a single colour in the medium of your choice (paint, ink, coloured pencils etc), and learned about creating bold tonal variations from those colours.
The artists really enjoyed this workshop and took the works to different places with interesting and surprising results.
April 2019 - open for the whole month
Don’t miss out on these exciting new works from Johanna Grant Mackie.
Official exhibition opening on Thursday the 11th of April from 12:30 to 1:30. Hope to see you there!
Come and join Pablos at Neighbours Fun Day. Small artworks and cards will be available from ROAR! Gallery, info on Pablos workshops as well as a free badge-making stall. We hope to see you there.
Themed Group Exhibition
Exploring portraiture from a range of workshops: Paper Mache masks, Collage and Relief reduction prints.
Fresh New Works from Pablos Art Studios for 2018!!
1st - 24th February 2018
ROAR! into Christmas – Cash & Carry Creative Gifts.
Come celebrate ROAR! Mince Pies - our Christmas show!
This exhibition promises to be an exciting and ever changing mosaic of paintings and hand-made objects. Something to suit every taste and pocket with delicious prices with most work being under $150!
It’s a cash and carry show – which means the buyer can take their purchases that night!
It’s a great way to support Pablos Art Studios and give someone you care about a unique hand-made gift.